Tuesday 14 May 2013

Mammaries are made of this

go home you're drunk meme bus display unitAdvised to take a raincoat today, also to not sit in any cat poo, however welcoming.
Ever since we moved in, the floorboard integrity in the upstairs 1950s-style throne room has been such that you can have a decent conversation with somebody in the kitchen downstairs, although that might appear to be hygienically doubtful. Now that the adjacent bathroom (loose description)  has been ripped out, you can see right through and all ablutions etc have been halted. Generally you can hear me anywhere, for I am a singer: particularly on the toilet. Last Thursday, a mad American passenger caused an emergency landing and was ejected from her flight when she refused to stop singing "I will always love ewe" of Dolly Parton/Whitney Houston cringe-fame. If that applied over here, I'd never finish a poo.
bedroom undergoing refurbishment missing floorboards and plasterIncidentally, the lightbulbs have been dying in waves. While they might be coming out in sympathy for their fallen comrades in the same way that white goods die just after the end of the warranty period, it might be a sign of domestic electrical turmoil. Luckily the sparky started work today and removed the legacy circuitry, which made the understairs cupboard look like spaghetti junction.
The electrician took one look at our 1950s wiring and said, not on your nelly, I'm not using that and signing it off as safe. So we are to get a complete house rewire. While this is very good news indeed for the house and any future resale value, it does mean that he had to disconnect everything, leaving us without electricity for a few days.
house refurbishment project room not finishedOK, so he stuck in 2 emergency sockets with extension leads to give us our fridge back, possibly a microwave, kettle and lamps upstairs. I had to get the torch to go in the loft to get the lamp so we could see to cook. Jof ran over the road to the Wok Of Ages Chinese restaurant and got her special fried rice, so she was happy. I got noodles, so I was happy. He got curry sauce, ditto.
We had to forego lamps upstairs so he could get on the computer to ask B+Q if we could have the left-hand L-shaped bath not the Right-hand one like he'd accidentally ordered.
Jof got a candle and stalked the corridors of the night (which do not all have floorboards) and I played with cars as my window has access to a street lamp. Then I read her a book and we all had an early night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.