Friday 21 June 2013

Longest Day: Stage 19 complete (or not)

man has car door broken off in carwash trying to secure windscreen wiper funny fail
Today is builder's end (not builder's bottom). They are off to a new job on Monday so this is their last and longest day, although they may leave "Chippy" their carpenter behind to complete a few shelves and floorboards.
I for one will be glad to lose the constant plaster dust, sawdust and wallpaper shavings, and look forward to re-expanding into my own bedroom. Of course, the removal of all the builder's tools and bags of rubbish will mean more space for painting.
Well, that was the theory. What actually happened was I had a splendid day at school marred only by Standard Error #36. This error involves me arriving at school, resplendent in clean, newly pressed uniform only to discover it's a non-uniform day and I'm the only plonker in a class of successful style gurus. Fortunately I changed into my PE kit which meant I was not hot like everybody else.
wimborne infants school milton portsmouthIt was School Fayre Day so I had already bought 3 strips of raffle tickets by teatime. We ran home (150 yards), dumped my book bag etc and went straight back for fayre funtime after ascertaining the builder's progress (like Pilgrim's progress but with more plaster, less Pastor). They had not completed the final day's jobs.
The kitchen was mostly tiled but gaps remained. Our tiles are Baldocer Ceramicas (fabricado en Espana, variety 'Clays Cotto'. Upon seeing them I declared them boring but they'll probably be mildly acceptable once the whole room is done). The chief builder (Master Mason) said "Goodness me, old chap, for I have been hard at work all day operating the tile cutter and to be honest I have had it with tiles and I'm going home for beer". He then performed a special hand movement known only to advanced builders, passed down from the Masons of Pharaonic Egypt, and said Fruttocks to this, I'll see you Monday. The office was knee deep in sawdust where Chippy had been making shelves and a rather cute cupboard thing to hide the ugly wiring round the fusebox and the air was full of dust, as usual.
fairground attraction make-up stall
At the fair, I ignored direct orders to buy Bottle-tombola tickets and bought more raffle tickets instead. I'd better win those Paultons Park tickets (first prize).
Erin got her fingers painted which made her happy, that's girlies for you.
wimborne infants school fairI did manage 5 minutes on the bouncy castle, a go on hook-a-duck (I got the only losing duck) and a tub of 'Meadow Cottage' ice cream (the really good one I discovered at Petersfield Pond) but time ran out and we drove to the laundrette and the Strip Joint to deliver a door for stripping and to pick up the one we left there last week. They were closed. Frunticles, he said. Poldarks. Buntocks, for we won't be able to pick Jof up from work after my swimming lesson if we've got a door in the back, unless she wishes to recline thereupon like one of your French models.
Later, scrubbing of skirting boards and doorframes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.