Friday 24 April 2015

A Friend with Weed (OK, Weeding with a Friend)

School was funny today, we did gardening club. As a mere stripling, I used to cut the sod and turn the soil, also plant my feet sturdily on the arable pastures etc, but that was before I was doing consultancy work for InterSpank. In the old house, I even demanded to grow my own apple trees, grew them, fed them, and actually ate fruit from them.
But it's been a while, mostly nowadays I help Jof get all the dead beercans out of our front garden and repot the peyote cacti every now and then.
Our school is an Edwardian (?) construction with nice chunky brickwork elevations but as it was placed in a built-up area to serve it, it kinda takes up one city block leaving no space for rolling playing fields etc. So we have a little stripe of earth between 4 and 8 foot wide around the building, then it's the cast-iron railings, then it's the pavement and the mean streets of Pompey.
Our class project was to do some weeding of this little brownsward and then Ben and I collaborated on digging a trench, by order. Our trench art was almost wide enough to take the lowest edge of a 4 foot pallet which the other team members had gaily painted, and then the idea is you place plant pots on the underside of the exposed yet secure pallet and they are displayed for all to see, although you do have to water them regularly. Nearby is the rhubarb that the Year 4 of Yesteryear (yes, the YesterYear 4) planted.
school gardening club pallet used as flowerpot stand
In swimming there were only 3 in my class and I was better at diving than them because they were girls. Ah. Usually before swimming I put on my trunks and put my pants in the bag so that if we're suddenly in a hurry, I'm ready to leap straight in. This has proved very useful on occasion. But this time, because I was too busy watching TV and I only have a certain amount of CPU Run-time, I wasn't paying attention and put my trunks on OVER my pants, lucky Bud checks before we leave or I could have been a pant-less boy again.
But the highlight of the day was the end of the week, haven't had relief like that since I used Acme Colon-U-Purge. It means I get to go to Harry Potter World, a bit late maybe, but who's counting. I was so excited, I nearly packed my own bag. After my shower, I watched Eric Morecambe doing his paper bag trick for acting lessons background and got a bonus Morecambe and Wise Breakfast sketch. Good old Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.