Wednesday 15 June 2016

A Post-Card Society

road rage bad driving incidentMy ongoing absence is good for me, for I am not absent. I'm here, having the time of my life: it's everyone else who's missing. Still, it marks another shift in attitude, another nail in the coffin of childhood with an extended stay away from home with only one-way communication. We have to send our postcards and I'm sure the war censor hardly looks at them and redacts unhelpful passages at all.
My missive was brief, to say the least. "I am fine. We are all fine. I love it here so much." But I'm far too busy to say more, I'm nearly an adult now - when I choose a film, it's Predator - but I'll still be little old me inside. You know what they say, the only difference between men and boys, is the size of their feet and the cost of their toys.
I expect Jof is missing me, but I won't let that slow me down.
===========================
For breakfast I usually have 2 bits of bread and jam, then the cooked thingy or cereal. There is a salad option and I tried the celery, big mistake. Today we did shelter-building and once you've completed your shelter, you have to get in it and the teachers pour on a jug of water to determine whether it's weather-proof. I got totally soaked.
For lunch we had the home-cooked speciality de la maison which is the pasta badger. You know the way you get fish deep-fried in batter? Well, you'll like this one, we did. They use some kind of wooden frame thing, batter it, deep fry it, and then remove the wood leaving a fat hollow badger-shaped batter crust. Then you fill it with pasta.
stubbington study centre field tripOf course, when you first stab the battered badger with your steely knives, it bleeds pasta most satisfactorily and it was epic. The we met some ducklings. They must have an incubator because we had a tableful of ducklings aged between 12 minutes and 3 days. They're pretty quick if you don't gently hold onto them and they try to run away, even the ones who still have their egg-breaking tooth on the ends of their beaks. Mine was super-cute.
At 1130 we were woken again and went into the hide. This is an extension to the building where one wall is a one-way mirror (when they first put it up it scared the life out of one fox who saw its own reflection) and we were quiet enough to see 2 foxes and a foxcub, and 2 badgers with 2 cubs come out and snuffle around for some food we'd left out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi! I'm glad you want to comment, for I like messages from humans. But if you're a Robot spam program, Google will put you in the spam folder for me to laugh at later.